The social networking website called Orkut is owned by Google Inc. It was designed with the intention to help Orkut users meet new friends and also keep in touch regularly with them. Orkut was created by Orkut Buyukkokten and hence its name Orkut. Orkut is more popular in Brazil and India when compared to the United States where Facebook and MySpace are the leading social networking websites. This is the reason why Google announced that Orkut would be taken care of by Google Brazil which is located in the city of Belo Horizonte though it was initially hosted in the United States.
In the year 2011, Alexa ranked Orkut 102 in their world rankings for websites. www.orkut.com login currently has more than 100 million active users. Those who are above 18 years of age can join Orkut.
How did Orkut begin? In the year 2003 Google wanted to buy the social networking website named Friendster but when that company declined Google’s offer, Google thought of creating their own product internally. Orkut Buyukkokten was given the responsibility of doing it and its end result was Orkut. Initially one could become members only through invitation just like it was when Gmail email services were launched.
When Orkut was first launched it has tremendous user base in the United States but in the later years Brazil overtook US and had the most number of users on Orkut. Gradually the people in United States started moving away from Orkut and began using MySpace and Friendster. The English Blogosphere criticized the Brazilians saying the reason for this is because they communicate more in their native language rather than in English. The number of Indian using Orkut also increased and later Orkut simplified the website so that it can be accessed on the mobile phones as well. A lighter version of Orkut was also created to help those who have a slow internet connection.
How to use Orkut?
Google ventured into the social networking filed with the launch of Orkut. The way this website works is quite similar to the other websites. One can create their profile and connect with their old friends and also network with new friends.
- On the web browser open Orkut webpage.
- If you already have a Gmail account then you need not register but, if you do not have a Gmail account you will have to register in Orkut.
- Create your profile and enter the basic information as to what your hobbies, which is your favorite sport and so on. You can also upload your profile picture if you are interested in doing so.
- Orkut calls people who want to connect with you as fan rather than friends. So, go ahead and find your fans. But, first check out their profile to see if you know them.
- The way to communicate on Orkut is through scraps. These scraps are bulletin messages that can be sent to all those who are connected with you on Orkut. Apart from scraps one can also send images, video etc. All the scraps sent and received by you will be saved in the scrapbook.
- You can also create photo albums in Orkut. Go to the albums link in Orkut and follow the instructions given there and upload the pictures.
- www.orkut.com login also has good privacy features. Depending on whom you want to see on your profile privacy settings can be given.
How to sign in to Orkut?
Orkut is a social networking website which was developed by Google. The profiles in Orkut are streamlined with the Gmail accounts. This means one can sign up for Orkut if they have a Gmail id with having to register once again. But, if you do not have a Gmail id you have to sign up for Orkut. Let us now see how it can be done:
- In the web browser open www.orkut.com
- Click on the “create an account” and fill in the details in the required field. This will take you to the Orkut home page.
- Sign in with the username and password that you just used to create the account
- You can start adding friends and also post scraps. If you are interested you can even upload your picture in your orkut profile page. Personal details like the name of your school, college etc; job place details etc. can also be entered in your profile page.
How to change your Orkut password?
It is always better to keep changing passwords on a frequent basis for any of your online activities. This makes your online accounts even more secure. Let us now look at how the password can be changed for orkut.
- Open the web browser and type www.orkut.com in the address bar.
- Enter your www.orkut.com login name and password.
- Under the personal setting link, click on change password
- Enter your present password in the first box and the new password in its field.
- Reenter the new password to confirm.
- Click on the save button and you will get a message saying your password has been changed.
How to retrieve Orkut password?
It sometimes happens that you would forget your www.orkut.com login password. In such cases it can be retrieved by proving that the orkut account is indeed yours.
- Open www.orkut.com and link on the link that says “can’t access your account”?
- Enter the email which you use to login to your orkut account and press enter.
- Click on the option resent your password using the alternate email id and press enter.
- Login to your alternate email id and you will find a mail from orkut.
- Click on the link given in that email and follow the instructions. This helps you reset the password.
In case you are no longer using the alternate email id, then click on “I no longer have access to this”. In such situation, a contact form will open up and you will have to fill all the details that you entered while creating the account initially. You will also have to enter the date you last logged in to orkut, the last password you used etc. Google will then contact you with details for resetting the password.